For Yoga Teachers & Trainees who want to teach breath confidently & skillfully
Discover Pranayama as the classical yogis intended and boost your clients’ health & well-being in the process.
Includes a comprehensive training booklet and over 2.5 hours of recorded tutorials. Access to the course is unlimited.
This approach to Pranayama is true to the original texts and will transform the way you teach breath. You will learn:
- What is a deep breath?
- Does pranayama oxygenate the body?
- What’s the point of pranayama?
- Is carbon dioxide just a waste gas?
- Can you over breathe?
- Can pranayama be harmful?
- How can you teach breath to maximise the benefits to your students?
Breath is at the very heart of yoga; it’s what makes the practice unique.
Pranayama in yoga texts is considered central to our health, and also key to deepening the practice.
Our entire physiological system is founded on the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide. There isn’t a system in the body not affected by the functioning of our breath.
So why, as yoga teachers, do we spend so much time learning about yoga postures and so little about breath? Breath taught well in your class has the power to transform the health and well-being of your students.
Over the last couple of years, breath as a vital component of health has increasingly come under the spotlight. From James Nestor’s Breath and the claim that 70% of the population are breathing wrong, to COVID and the devastating effects it can have on breath & health.
Buteyko has been shown to have a positive impact on: Fatigue & Long COVID. Asthma & Respiratory Issues. Insomnia, Snoring & Sleep Apnea. High Blood Pressure. Some Menopausal Symptoms. Anxiety & Mild Depression.
This course is designed to give you the knowledge you need to teach breath really well. It will also change how you think about and teach pranayama, with suggested practices and cues. It explores the science of breathing, the significance of pranayama in yoga, and how the Buteyko approach to breathing overlaps. It also explains why functional breathing is fundamental to the health of our students and how to identify & correct breathing pattern disorders. You will learn the principles of Buteyko breathing, how it relates to yoga texts and how to apply it to pranayama practices.
- The role of pranayama in classic yoga.
- The science of breathing.
- How incorrect breathing impacts health.
- Why the chemistry of breathing matters so much.
- The biomechanics of breath.
- Nose versus mouth breathing.
- Why less is more when it comes to breath.
- The principles of Buteyko breathing.
- Breathing Pattern Disorders especially over-breathing.
- Breath dysfunction in common pathologies.
- The link between Buteyko principles & Pranayama in classic yoga texts.
- Breath sequences.
- How to teach Pranayama effectively, therapeutically & confidently.
The course consists of:
- 50 page accompanying eBooklet,
- The Buteyko for Beginners course which covers the science and requirements for functional breathing,
- A tutorial on Pranayama in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the Hatha Pradipika and how that relates to Buteyko breathing
- The implications for teaching Pranayama correctly
- Optional quiz questions to re-enforce learning
The course is designed as further study for qualified yoga teachers. It is also suitable for yoga teacher trainees with knowledge of Pranayama basics and some yoga philosophy, and anyone with a general interest.
Suzanne is a Senior Yoga Teacher with YAP and a Trainer Pro. She is also a qualified Buteyko breath coach with Oxygen Advantage, having trained with Patrick McKeown. She has many years experience of studying, practising and teaching breath techniques in a class setting, and also working as a breath coach, addressing breath in chronic conditions such as fatigue, long Covid, asthma, anxiety and depression.